Archives & Special Collections - Records Transfer

Transer Process

The University Archives collects materials in print/physical and electronic/digital formats from Salve Regina offices, departments, and personnel documenting the history, teaching, operations, and activities of the institution.

When university offices have records that need to be transferred to the Archives, the first step in arranging transfer is to contact the University Archivist at 401-341-2276 or at The Archivist can discuss the nature of the records and their suitability for being transferred to the Archives. Transfer of records must be accompanied by the Transfer Form [pdf].

In most cases, it is best if the Archivist can come to your office and box up the records according to their existing organization (in archivists' parlance, "original order" or with respect des fonds). Similarly, the Archivist can transfer files from your hard drive and preserve the appropriate folder structure. If it is not possible for the Archivist to collect the records personally, please discuss the best methods for gathering the records with the Archivist.

Transfer of records must be accompanied by the Transfer Form [pdf]. The Transfer Form ensures correct description and attribution of records; transfers custody of the records permanently to the Archives; and notes where confidential materials require restricted access.

While the University does not have a formal records management system, the Archivist is available to assist university offices and departments with developing internal records retention schedules.


What to send to the Archives?
  • Please send only your records: records you created personally, that were created in your department, or were sent in from external sources and are directly relevant to the operations of your department. If an alum or donor contacts your office about donating rare or special materials that would need to be housed in the Archives, please contact the Archivist as soon as possible and direct them to the Donations page.

  • The Archives collects university records identified as "Permanent." These are records necessary to document the history, organization, functions, policies, decisions, or procedures of your agency or office. Such records are placed for permanent preservation in the University Archives when they are no longer in current use by the originating department.

    • If materials are still being used by your office, they should not be transferred to the University Archives. Once records have been transferred to the Archives, they should not be sent back to the originating office, but they may be copied or used in the Archives.

  • Please send the following permanent, non-current materials:
    1. Documents – inactive departmental records and correspondence
      • Agendas, minutes, and supporting documents for meetings
      • Correspondence and office records of senior administrators, deans, and policy makers
      • Published an unpublished annual reports of senior administrators, deans, and academic officers
      • Summary budgets and financial reports
    2. Publications – originating from your department
      • Brochures
      • Catalogs
      • Books
      • Schedules of classes
      • Handbooks
      • Handouts explaining degree requirements in specific programs
      • Directories
      • Newspapers, newsletters, and other publicity issuances from campus offices and student organizations
      • Other printed matter which originates from your department, whether it is an administrative, teaching, research, or student organization. These can range from scholarly journals and official reports to departmental newsletters and student organization announcements and posters.
    3. Identified photographs that deal directly with your department’s activities.
    4. Moving image or sound files of important or historical University events that were planned or administered by your department.
    5. University-related ephemera (e.g., pins, pens, photo frames, banners, flags, uniforms, fragments of buildings, furniture, scientific equipment, trophies, shovels, plaques, etc., produced for or by your department.)
  • Please do not send:
    1. Any material unaccompanied by a signed Transfer Form
    2. Materials collected for personal use or to assist in the operation of your department (e.g., brochures of other institutions used for informational purposes)
    3. Catalogs, journals, and other publications or papers not directly related to the university
    4. Files of reprints
    5. More than 2 copies of anything
    6. Blank forms
    7. Routine financial records, such as requisitions, travel expense vouchers, payroll time sheets, accounting reports, check copies, etc.
    8. Drafts of reports and correspondence (Exceptions include preliminary discussion documents, background reports and drafts that are substantively different from the final version of major planning documents)


Find more ...
Contact Information