Borrowing privileges and loan rules
McKillop Library loan rules and periods:
Salve students, staff, and special borrowers such as alumni and Friends of the Library are permitted to check out up to 25 items at one time. DVD borrowing is limited to 10 DVDs checked out at any one time. Loan rules and periods for materials from other HELIN libraries may vary. On-site borrowing at Brown University Libraries
We also have special items for check-out or purchase, like iPads and library bags. Click here for the full list of items and associating lending periods.
Who is eligible to borrow?
- Salve Regina University Faculty, Students, and Staff: Active faculty, students, and staff of Salve Regina University with a valid SRU ID may borrow material.
- HELIN Faculty, Students, and Staff: McKillop Library is a member of HELIN, the Higher Education Library Information Network, which extends borrowing privileges to active faculty, students, and staff of the Community College of Rhode Island, the Dominican House of Studies, Johnson and Wales University, Providence College, Rhode Island College, Roger Williams University, and Wheaton College. Holdings of all these libraries are included in the online catalog. HELIN faculty, staff, and students must have their University/College ID with them in order to check out library material.
- OSL: Salve Regina University loans books from our main collection to Rhode Island Public libraries via the Ocean State Libraries Catalog. Salve Regina University reserves the right to cancel any request.
- Special Borrowers**
- Alumni: Any member of the Salve Regina University Alumni Association is eligible for McKillop Library borrowing privileges. Alumni must present valid photo ID in order to obtain a special borrower's card.
- Aquidneck Island Teachers: Eligible for McKillop Library borrowing privileges. Teachers must provide a letter from their school's principal verifying their current employment status. Teachers must present a valid photo ID in order to obtain a special borrower's card.
- Brown University: On site visits and borrowing privileges. Visitors must present valid ID from their institution.
- Bryant University: On site visits and borrowing privileges. Visitors must present valid ID from their institution.
- Circle of Scholars: Students currently enrolled in the Circle of Scholars program may borrow library materials.
- Dependents: Salve Regina University employees dependents are eligible for McKillop Library borrowing privileges. A dependent is a spouse or a child of an employee. The employee must present current SRU ID, and the dependent must present valid photo ID in order to obtain a special borrower's card.
- McKillop Library Community Borrowers Program: Members of the community not affiliated with Salve Regina University as faculty, student, staff, or alumni, nor are active faculty, student, or staff at any HELIN institution, are welcome to join the McKillop Library Community Borrowers Program for a fee of $100.00 per year. Patrons must present a valid photo ID in order to obtain a community borrower's card. Community borrowers may borrow circulating books, audiobooks, and DVDs located in the McKillop Library collection only.
- University of Rhode Island: On site visits and borrowing privileges. Visitors must present valid ID from their institution.
**Please note: special borrowers do not have HELIN borrowing privileges or access to databases from off-campus.
Notices are sent when books are overdue. Salve does not charge fines. However, if a patron receives a third notice this should be considered a bill for the material.
FIRST NOTICE: sent seven days after due date of material not returned.
SECOND NOTICE: sent fourteen days after the first notice.
THIRD NOTICE (BILL): mailed seven days after the second notice. This is a bill.
RATES FOR BILLED SALVE MATERIAL:
Book - $50
Oversize book - $90
Video/DVD - $50
Cassette - $50
(Rates for billed material from other HELIN libraries vary, but may be as high as $100 per item.)
Bills may be paid at the Business Office. Bills are expunged if material is returned to the library within a reasonable time period. Patrons are not reimbursed if they find their library materials after paying bills.
All bills must be paid before students can access their transcripts or receive their diploma. In addition, unpaid bills will sanction patron's use of other HELIN Institutions.
Some institutions within the HELIN Consortium do charge fines for overdue material.
Any fines or fees incurred from other HELIN libraries must be paid directly to the lending library.
Always remember to bring your Salve ID card to be able to...
- Borrow books and other items
- Check-out course reserves
- Make photocopies
- Print from computers
- Request books from other libraries
Your library barcode is the 14 digit number on the bottom of your Salve ID card. Please note that your library barcode is not the same as your student ID number.
Need more help? Ask a librarian at 401-341-2289.