- How do I find books in the catalog?
- McKillop Library has an online library catalog called Encore Duet, which allows you to find books, ebooks, videos and articles all in OneSearch box. Books available at other libraries that are part of the HELIN Consortium will also be shown in the results list; books from other libraries can be requested for free and will arrive in approximately 2 business days.
- How do I search the Advanced version of the catalog?
- From the results page, choose Advanced Keyyword Search under the top search bar which will bring you to the Advanced Keyword Search page. From here, you can limit your search to a particular format such as ebooks or videos only, or/and to a particular library such as Salve only.
- I can't find the item I want on the shelf. What should I do?
- Recheck the catalog to be sure that the item's location is Salve and the status is available. Then ask for assistance at the Information desk, and we will help you look for the book on the shelf. If a item cannot be found, you may request it through interlibrary loan.
- I need an item that is only available at another HELIN library. How can I request it and have it sent to McKillop Library?
Materials from other HELIN Libraries can be requested, and they will be delivered to McKillop Library for your use. To request a HELIN book not available at McKillop Library, first login to your account using the login link in the top right corner of the catalog page:
You will be asked to enter your name and library barcode number, which is the 14 digit bottom number on your Salve ID that begins with 23759. Find the book in the catalog you wish to request, then click the "Request It" button next to the book's title in the catalog record. Select which of the available copies of the book you wish to request (any copy with a status of available is fine). Choose Salve as your pick-up location, or another library if you prefer to pick up your material at another location. (Hint: It does not need to be Salve. If Roger Williams University or one of the other HELIN libraries is more convenient, you can have the book shipped there.) Click the button marked Submit. Books requested from another HELIN library usually arrive within 48 hours, excluding weekends and holidays. Brown University Libraries have a different process for requesting books, explained below. You will be notified by email when your book is available for pickup.
- How do I request an item from Brown University Libraries?
- The InRhode
Library Catalog combines the library resources of Brown University's Library
Catalog, JOSIAH, with those of the HELIN Consortium's Library
Catalog, HELIN. Students, faculty and staff from any of the HELIN libraries
may request books directly through this catalog with a valid library barcode. Use the "Request this item" link in the book's InRhode catalog record.
- I need an item that is not available at McKillop Library or any other HELIN library. How can I get it?
- To obtain a book that is not available at any HELIN library, make an interlibrary loan request. Interlibrary loans may take several weeks to arrive, so please plan ahead and order your materials in advance. You may also want to check your local public library's online catalog (RI Public Library Catalog) to see if the book you need is available there.
1. Go to http://library.salve.edu
2. In the search box, enter your keyword(s), title or author:
3. Use the facets on the left sidebar to refine results by format type, location, etc. (optional)
4. Browse the search results for items you would like to borrow. If the book is at Salve and is Available you can go to the shelves to retrieve it. If itís at another library, you can request that it be delivered to the Salve library free of charge using the "Request" link. If it is checked-out, you can still use the "Request" button, which will place a hold on the item for you; when it is returned, you will be notified that it is ready for pick-up.
The books in the library are arranged according to the Library of Congress Classification System. In the catalog, find the location and call number of the item you wish to borrow. For example, using the catalog record above, To the Lighthouse would be located on the 3rd FL.
Finding items by call number on the shelves can be daunting at first, so if you arenít sure, please ask a librarian for help! Weíll gladly show you how to find books by call number.
The catalog listing for each item includes location, status, and call number information. Items located at McKillop Library have the location Salve. If a book is checked out, its status will list a due date. If an item is not checked out, its status will say available. To find an item on the shelf, use the call number.
Click "see all" and then click the location link in the catalog (e.g. "Salve Main Collection") to view a floor map of that item's location in the library. Click on the Call Number to virtually browse books that match your search result (be sure to check the availability of the book and where the book is located; if it is not a Salve book you will need to request it). Note that books with the location of Salve Reference, Salve Pastore Collection, Salve CurrLib Reference, Salve Special Collections or Salve Newport Collection are for library use only and cannot be checked out.
If you need assistance locating an item on the shelf or requesting a book, please ask a librarian.
Ask a librarian at 401-341-2289.