Handout: How to find books using the catalog [PDF]
Handout: How to find books on the shelves [PDF]
- How do I search the catalog?
- McKillop Library has an online library catalog called the HELIN catalog. This catalog allows you to find books, ebooks, and videos available here and at other libraries that are part of the HELIN Consortium. Use the Search catalog tab of the library webpage and choose to search by keyword, author, or title in the search box. Enter your search term in the box. Choose to search at Salve only or at all HELIN libraries. Then click go.
- I found some materials in the library catalog that I want to check out. How do I find them on the shelf in the library?
- The catalog listing for each item includes location, status, and call number information. Items located at McKillop Library have the location Salve. If a book is checked out, its status will list a due date. If an item is not checked out, its status will say available. To find an item on the shelf, use the call number. Books located in the Salve main collection with call numbers A - G are located on the second floor, while call number H - Z are on the third floor. Books in the reference collection are located on the first floor. DVDs and current issues of journals are located on the first floor. Note that books with the location of Salve Reference, Salve Pastore Collection, Salve CurrLib Reference, or Salve Newport Collection are for library use only and cannot be checked out.
- I can't find the item I want on the shelf. What should I do?
- Recheck the catalog to be sure that the item's location is Salve and the status is available. Then ask for assistance at the Circulation desk, and we will help you look for the book on the shelf. If the book is still not located, fill out a lost book form at the Circulation desk. We will attempt to locate the book and notify you. If a item cannot be found, you may request it through interlibrary loan.
- I need an item that is only available at another HELIN library. How can I request it and have it sent to McKillop Library?
Materials from other HELIN Libraries can be requested, and they will be delivered to McKillop Library for your use. To request a HELIN book not available at McKillop Library, first login to your account using the login link in the top right corner. You will be asked to enter your name and library barcode number, which is the 14 digit bottom number on your Salve ID. Then do a search for the book you wish to request. Then use the "Request" link below the book's title in the catalog record. Select which of the available copies of the book you want to request. Any copy with a status of available is fine. Choose Salve as your pick-up location, or another library if you prefer to pick up your material at another location. (Hint: It does not need to be Salve. If Roger Williams University or one of the other HELIN libraries is more convenient, you can have the book shipped there.) Click the button marked Submit. Books requested from another HELIN library usually arrive within 48 hours, excluding weekends. Brown University Libraries have a different process for requesting books, explained below. You will be notified by email when your book is available for pickup.
- How do I request an item from Brown University Libraries?
- The InRhode
Library Catalog combines the library resources of Brown University's Library
Catalog, JOSIAH, with those of the HELIN Consortium's Library
Catalog, HELIN. Students, faculty and staff from any of the nine HELIN libraries
may request books directly themselves through this catalog with a valid library barcode. Use the "Request this item" link in the book's InRhode catalog record.
- I need an item that is not available at McKillop Library or any other HELIN library. How can I get it?
- To obtain a book that is not available at any HELIN library, make an interlibrary loan request. Interlibrary loans may take several weeks to arrive, so please plan ahead and order your materials in advance. You may also want to check your local public library's online catalog (RI Public Library Catalog) to see if the book you need is available there.
Need more help? Call the Info Desk at 401-341-2289.
Have more questions? Call the Information Desk at 401-341-2289.