Summer 2005In Foyer: Newport Display
First Floor Glass Cases: The History of Salve's Library
Browsing Area: Catherine McAuley
Reference Area: Jazz
Salve Regina University's
In December of 1955, Vinland was donated to Salve Regina by Florence Burden. The Vinland Estate includes the main structure (a mansion with about 50 rooms) and a great number of outbuildings including a gatehouse, carriage house and potting shed. The Vinland mansion was renamed McAuley Hall, after Catherine McAuley, the founder of the Sisters of Mercy order. The library was then moved into McAuley Hall, which is where it was able to grow in terms of volumes and staff. The library was housed on the first and second floors of McAuley, along with faculty offices on the second floor and student residences on the third floor. The library remained in McAuley Hall until the building could hold no more. All the available space had been used and there was a need for an updated information system. The turn of the century mansion was also not the best place for the storage of books, because the building was not intended to hold that much weight and was not able to handle the updating needed for computer wiring and better lighting. It was also not a climate controlled area, which is important for preservation of books. It was not the type of building that could be massively renovated due to its historic nature. There was an obvious need to create a modern building to house the library and its collections. Thus McKillop Library was conceived, planned, and built.
Exhibit created and prepared by Laura Kohl and Sr. Sheila O'Brien of the McKillop Library Staff.
|Send comments or questions to Laura Kohl, Reference Librarian, x2293 or firstname.lastname@example.org|