How to request a book from another library
When you need a book that is not available here at McKillop Library, there are three steps to follow in order to request it. First, check to see if it is available for request through the HELIN catalog, which includes the collections of numerous RI academic libraries. If not, next check to see if it is available for request through Brown University's InRhode catalog. If a book is not available either through HELIN or InRhode (Brown), then you can request it through our Interlibrary Loan Department. Whenever you request a book, you will be asked for your name and library barcode.
- How to request a book from another HELIN library
Materials from other HELIN Libraries can be requested, and they will be delivered to McKillop Library for your use. To request a HELIN book not available at McKillop Library, first do a search in the HELIN catalog to find the item you wish to request. Then use the "Request it" link below the book's title in the catalog record. You will then be asked to login to your account using your name (firstname lastname) and library barcode number (14 digit number on your Salve ID card). Next select which of the available copies of the book you want to request. Any copy with a status of available is fine. Choose Salve as your pick-up location, or another library if you prefer to pick up your material at another location. Click the button marked Submit. Books requested from another HELIN library usually arrive within 48 hours, excluding weekends. You will be notified by email when your book is available for pickup. Brown University Libraries have a different process for requesting books, explained below.
Return to top
- How to request a book from Brown University Libraries using the InRhode catalog
- Brown University Libraries are part of the HELIN consortium. The InRhode
Library Catalog combines the library resources of Brown University's Library
Catalog, called JOSIAH, with those of the HELIN Consortium's Library
Catalog, HELIN. Students, faculty and staff from any of the nine HELIN libraries
may request books themselves directly through this catalog with a valid library barcode. Use the "Request this item" link in the book's InRhode catalog record. Books will be delivered to McKillop Library usually within 48 hours (excluding weekends), and you will receive an email notifying you when they have arrived.
Return to top
- How to request a book using Interlibrary Loan
- To obtain a book that is not available through either the HELIN or InRhode (Brown) catalogs, make an interlibrary loan request. Interlibrary loans may take several weeks to arrive, so please plan ahead and order your materials in advance. You may also want to check your local public library's online catalog (RI Public Library Catalog) to see if the book you need is available there.
Return to top
Need research help? Call the Info Desk at 401-341-2289.
First year students